Currently, I am Junior-Professor for the Philosophy of Perception and Knowledge and director of the Emmy Noether Research Group “From Perception to Belief and Back Again“. My professorship as well as my research group are located at the Department of Philosophy II and the Center for Mind, Brain, and Cognitive Evolution at the Ruhr-University Bochum.
Previously, I held positions at the Departments of Philosophy at the Universities of Mainz and Konstanz. In addition, I held numerous visiting positions at the University of Leuven, the University of California at Berkeley, the Northern Institute of Philosophy at the University of Aberdeen, Tilburg University, the University of Salzburg, the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy, and Pittsburgh University. I successfully completed my PhD studies at the University of Konstanz in May 2012. Before that I studied Philosophy (major) and Mathematics (minor) at the Universities of Erfurt, Konstanz, and Salzburg.
- New Member Starting in April: Insa Lawler will start on April 1 as a post-doc in our Emmy Noether Research Group.
- Workshop in May: The group is hosting the workshop Perception, Mental Imagery, and Inference. It will be held in Bochum on May 14-15, 2018. Invited speakers are: Ophelia Deroy (Munich), Edouard Machery (Pittsburgh), Bence Nanay (Antwerp), Jona Vance (Arizona). Organizers are: Peter Brössel, Albert Newen, Filippo Vindrola (Bochum).
- Workshop in June: The group is hosting the pre-read workshop Epistemology Seminar. It will be held in Bochum on June 4-5, 2018. Invited speakers are: Lisa Cassell (Maryland), Julien Dutant (King’s College, London), Anna-Maria A. Eder (Northeastern/Cologne), Branden Fitelson (Northeastern), Maria Lasonen-Aarnio (Helsinki), Richard Pettigrew (Bristol), Ginger Schultheis (MIT), Jack Spencer (MIT), and Scott Sturgeon (Birmingham). Organizers are: Peter Brössel (Bochum), Branden Fitelson (Northeastern), Insa Lawler (Duisburg-Essen/Salzburg), and Thomas Raleigh (Bochum).
- Workshop in July: The group is hosting the workshop Rationality: Epistemic and Practical Perspectives, which will be held in Bochum on July 9, 2018. Invited speakers are: Amy Flowerree (Cologne/Texas Tech), Nicholas Laskowski (Duisburg-Essen), Errol Lord (Pennsylvania), Susanne Mantel (Saarland), and Thomas Raleigh (Bochum). Organizers are: Insa Lawler (Duisburg-Essen/Salzburg) and Thomas Raleigh (Bochum).
- Further information about the Emmy Noether research group “From Perception to Belief and Back Again” can be found here.